I just got myself a part-time data entry job so I can pay for singing lessons. (Suits me better than waiting tables.)
Two years from now, perhaps, I can watch American Idol and not feel sad.
My new job is super flexible. I can work any time, any day and I get paid an hourly rate. The pay is nothing to write home about, but I can make enough to pay for my lessons every month. And it is flexible enough to allow me to go off for shoots and auditions whenever I need to.
I might even have enough after a few months of working to replace my lost camera so my blog can stop looking like a boring law textbook.
Which means I now no longer have the luxury of sitting at home all day doing inconsequential stuff at my computer. Such as blogging.
Then again, I think blogging has less to do with the availability of time than it has to do with inspiration.
Sometimes I just don’t feel like writing. Sometimes I want to but nothing comes out. Sometimes everything comes out as gibberish asking for a tight slap.
When that happens, a new blog entry doesn’t.
Then you, who are reading my blog, will get upset, as blog readers are wont to do when they visit a blog and don’t see a new entry.
But I think my new job will make many people happy.
- My dad. He’s always saying that sitting at home all day doing inconsequential stuff at the computer is boring so it’s good to go out and do stuff, no matter work or play. I don’t agree because I think being at the computer 24/7 doing inconsequential stuff is fun. Well, it’s just one of those differences. But my dad puts up with me being a poor duck who sits on her ass all day, without a single complaint, so he’s a great dad regardless!
- People who envy my decadent, no-Monday-blues life. They don’t have to envy me any more because I am now part of The Big Grind. (But these people don’t realise that I pay a high price for my workless lifestyle. It’s nothing like decadence. No work = no money, no shopping, no indulgences, and feeling embarrased when you see people wearing cool, fashionable clothes while you’re wearing some old thing you bought 10 years ago.)
- The Goonfather. Because our offices are like 150 metres apart and we can go to work together and have lunch together.
- My employer. Because he benefits from having another pair of hands complete all the work.
- Myself, of course. Because I can attend singing classes, dance classes, acting classes, martial arts classes, Japanese classes OMG classes! Then again, if I spend all my days attending classes, I won’t have time left to make the money with which to pay for them.
To be honest, I really hate working life. That’s why I quit my cushy journalism career to pursue an acting career. This data entry job pays me about half of what my journalist job used to pay (based on an hourly comparison) but it feels more fulfilling because I’m doing it for a worthy cause (to support my acting career). Therefore I am excited and happy about it.
I love money. But I love peace of mind and soul more.
22 thoughts on “Back to the grind”
I’ll do my bid to help :)
Here’s a local online contest which can win $100 (I think). Here: http://www.okamoto-condoms.com.sg/preview/contests_mar06.html
You registered for SMRT’s draw?
Yes, I’m a cheapo who doesn’t believe in paying for lottery (I don’t buy 4D, etc) but grab every other contest opportunity ;)
Looks like it is still good money for a data entry job.
Hmm, I am ready for a job change. Any openings? :)
Strangely enough, I’ve never actually seen you look like you’re wearing some old thing from 10 years ago…
Missed your student days? Yes, working life is very stress and bad, just blamed on those wicked devils out there. But life still must carry on and we can’t depend on our parents to feed us in our adult age( I’m 16 years old), right? Good luck and success in your new job!
oh oh oh! Go read this book called Nothing Down for the 2000s. On how to invest and make money from Real Estate and use absolutely NO MONEY DOWN!
I don’t like money, I love the things that money can buy and the feeling of ownership from getting money.
You’re Justiriser Blue…
From some angles anyway.
Alvin: Wah liew… why you send me a condom link? I dowan to join their contest… later get condom email spam. O_o
Sunny: Uh… you can’t make a career out of data entry though.. :P
Mince Pye: Hmm.. ok next time I’ll point out to you, lol.
Starlandliu: Yeah I miss school. But nobody ever appreciates school until it’s too late! Haha… You’re 16, so you’re still schooling? Enjoy it while you can. :P
Vandalin: Serious or not… O_o
Swordplay: No I’m not. O_O
Congrats! Do work hard.. Muhaha… data entry not bad can slack in air con room! Haha..=XXX
Any time, any day? Whoa…not bad. Welcome back to the working society!
Look at the IN LOADER pic or those below.
If it’s not you someone cloned you while you weren’t looking. Your clone is in JHSU too.
Did I just saw u acting in the Chinese 9pm TV serial?
daniel studio u mean? :-p
You should really check out your clone, Saturday 12 noon on Central.
you are just another wannabe.
wad peace of mind and soul. crap. bwahahahaha
hey I tried an idea from it… not bad… go take a read and see for yourself. it’s got some really interesting ideas. think can borrow from the library
Was it worth it??
No! Because, as I have discovered recently, WORK SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!
It still SUCKS!!!!