Home Media About Contact
Aug 10

I got my iPhone 4 last night but I didn’t get a MicroSIM card. I won’t explain why because it’s a long, boring story. But I was going to have to visit a SingTel shop the next day to convert my SIM into a MicroSIM.

The Goonfather said, “Why pay $18 for the conversion? Just cut it yourself!”

I really thought he was joking. But he wasn’t. Apparently, many people do it. Just Google and you’ll see.

We were having dinner at The King Louis when Unker Kell started cutting up his SIM card with his steak knife, using his new MicroSIM as a template (his MicroSIM wasn’t activated yet.)

SIM card and MicroSIM card

It worked perfectly! His newly-cut SIM card fit into his iPhone 4 and he was able to make calls and surf the net.

I wasn’t ready to cut up my card yet because I didn’t want to break out my iPhone 4 outside. So I got the Goonfather to make markings on my SIM card using Unker Kell’s MicroSIM as template.

I gave him a pen to make the marks, but he decided to use his steak knife.

What’s with boys and knives?

SIM card and MicroSIM card

Once we got home, he used a pair of normal scissors and cut along the lines. One minute later, I had one perfectly functional MicroSIM card at no extra cost!

SIM card and MicroSIM card

SIM card and MicroSIM card

SIM card and MicroSIM card

It’s not a perfect fit for the MicroSIM tray, but it still works fine.

The iPhone 4 is sooooo good to use. I couldn’t imagine anything could be smoother than the iPhone 3G, but Apple has done it.

I’ve named her Cutie Prime because my iPhone 3G was Ms Cutie. The “Prime” is from “Optimus Prime”, so used because the iPhone 4 looks more high tech.

It was Kerrendor’s idea actually. When I said I was going to name my Alienware Fluffy (because my pink MSI Wind is also named Fluffy), he said, “Why not Fluffy Prime cos you need a more high tech alien-sounding name?”

He was actually joking but I really liked the idea so I used it.

iPhone 4

The Goonfather named his iPhone 3GS iGoon. He’s still deciding whether to get an iPhone 4.

Now I just need to think of a name for my iPad when it arrives!

Update

If you don’t have a MicroSIM to use as template, you can get one here: Print out this PDF at 100%. This website also has very detailed instructions if you need.

If, after you cut up your SIM card and decide you want it back to original size, you can buy an adapter at Sim Lim Square to fit your card in to turn it back into regular size.

Love, Sheylara

Categories: Gadgets

18 Responses to “Converting SIM card to MicroSIM free”

1. Stormy says:

cutie prime rofl

2. tvbaddict says:

hhmm… u can also download the template n just use tht as well to cut for d microsim…

seems like m’sia onli in sept will hv iphone 4

3. Apex says:

Wow so cutting the sim card really work. Guess i can cut my once my iPhone 4 arrive. Just wonder where can I get a templete

4. LJ says:

At least it works! hehehe

5. Mince Pye says:

iPad can be named after Maximus Prime:

MaxiPad Prime!

6. MYT@gOa says:

Shey, you’re like almost 40 years old now, right? And you’re still naming your devices? My daughter does that.

She’s five.

7. Kerr says:

Ho, Sheylara. Many thanks for the mention, I kinda liked the idea of the Prime last name myself.. :D

8. Kerr says:

Btw for the benefit of readers would you provide the dimensions of the cutting, or a link that provides it? I’m sure many interested googlers may end up at this article title. Just a thought.

9. darkknight70 says:

MYT: What the fuck is wrong with naming devices? And what is that shit about your daughter doing the same thing and she’s fucking five or forty five? You have a problem with your bitch naming devices, you should teach her better.

10. Mince Pye says:

Don’t mind the neighbourhood troll. Seriously, nothing worth getting the heart-rate up over.

11. MYT@gOa says:

Hey Batman…I mean darknight70. Get a grip dude. It’s an opinion, not a vulgar fest.

12. Fariwu says:

Steak knife?! You can cut up the microSIM card, but be careful not to cut the gold part at all, or it’ll spoil the card and you have to buy a new one. Ooh, and where are you getting your iPad from?

13. Sheylara says:

Thanks for the feedback, all! I’ll post an addendum with more info on the SIM card surgery. :P

@Fariwu: I ordered my iPad from apple.com.sg.

14. tweety says:

hi am tweety by name, i saw this ur stuff u did here n liked it, so i tried it as well but i got my sim card damaged and cannot work, so i dnt know how u can help me do it, cos i asked starhub if i can change the sim to micro sim n they said no that its for postpaid only n not for prepaid. so i wanna retrieve my line n because i really want to continue using this my line dats y i want to cut it, please reply asap..tnx

15. Sheylara says:

Hi tweety,

Sorry to hear about your SIM card being damaged. I guess you can’t convert a prepaid SIM to micro.

I heard that there’s an adapter which you can find in Sim Lim that you can slot your cut-up micro-SIM in to turn it back into a normal SIM, so you might want to try looking for that.

I’m not sure which store has it, though, but good luck!

16. Eric says:

Good News! Even prepaid SIM card can be converted into micro sim. I myself did it with
    a micro sim cutter. It looks easy but you need the right tools to do it. You will easily damage the SIm card with a normal knife. So my advice is to save all the trouble just spend a few dollars for a perfect cutting. Call 98650711 if you need help.

17. Rondy says:

Are you retarded or something?

18. ~Children with gambling complaints are prone to perform poorly
    at school. This can lead to blood clots if fat or
    cholesterol are freed in to the circulatory system. Unfortunately,
    although people view the principles in the steps, few see the essential underlying
    dynamics for sustained change.